“Anything that excites me for any reason, I will photograph; not searching for unusual subject matter, but making the commonplace unusual.” - Edward Weston
Kevin sees his images as a way to capture a moment in time, chronicling the things most people never notice or take for granted. "Often these are framed instances that would go unnoticed in their original context. The image has to draw the viewer into a narrative or story, it has to draw the viewer into a place of familiarity." Most important, he truly feel the image needs to evoke an emotion for the viewer, good or ill. "One way to achieve this is the image being not just technically good, but full of the heart and soul of the photographer."
Over the years Kevin has learned to adapt to new technologies in the industry, several years ago he came into the digital age and has become proficient with both cameras and software. He has learned that there is a time and place were digital is the logical medium, becoming the best way to capture the moment. Yet a little voice in his head kept telling him not to give up on analog (film) photography, and he is so glad he did not. This does not preclude him from still photographing with digital camera when appropriate, he finds that there is a look that film gives that can not be achieved with digital.
Kevin constantly has a camera with him when he travels giving him the ability too, hopefully, capture his images when he find the subject. "Too many times I have found that if I see something interesting I should take time to capture the moment, or risk planning to return only to not able to return or it is gone."
Kevin has many on going projects he is currently working on.
A native Iowan Kevin has lived in Seattle Washington, where he met and married Gaetana his wife of thirty plus years, New York City, and San Jose California. For the last twenty plus years he and Gaetana, along with their rescue dog Blanca, have called Milford Connecticut their home. They have two grown children, Zoë and Patrick who are now writing their own life stories in the world.
When he is not writing about himself in the third person, Kevin likes to brew beer, make sawdust on his lathe in his wood shop and travel. He can often be found on his back yard with a pipe, a fine glass of bourbon or single malt, listening to music and enjoying a conversation with friends.
- American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) - Connecticut
- American Photographic Artist (APA) - New York
- Contributing Photographer, The Foundation for Photo/Art in Hospitals
- ASMP "Off the Clock", Saltbox Gallery, West Hartford, Connecticut, 2024
- Milford Photo Expo, Milford Arts Council, Milford, Connecticut, 2020
- The Curated Fridge, Somverville, Massachusetts, 2018
- Connecticut Professional Photographers Association Group Show, Artspace, Hartford, Connecticut 2016
- The 33rd Essex International Salon of Photography, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, England 1993
- The 31st Essex International Salon of Photography, Southend-on-Sea, Essex, England 1991
- Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 1986 (Solo exhibit)
- Newtown Arts Festival, Newtown, Connecticut
- Milford Artisans Market on the Green, Milford, Connecticut
- Grantwood Arts Festival, Stone City, Iowa
- Iowa City Thieves Market, Iowa City, Iowa